We looked at what we felt the ’causes’ and ‘consequences’ of sin where, and what its definition is.
We argued that there is a vicious cycle about these.
We suggested we need helping ‘out’ of this cycle.
Sin is nothing directly to do with sex! The Adam & Eve story was a helpful myth describing what it was like to misuse freedom.
- Incomplete nature of human beings
- Making mistakes
- Selfishness, imbalance of perspective
- Influence of natural environment ‘endemic’ (e.g. family)
- The devil / things that tempt away from God
- Lack of self-worth
- Misuse of freedom
- Looking for a compensation as a response to pain
- Slavery to evil
- Vicious cycle / self-perpetuation
- Relational imbalance
- Discrimination: putting others down / self up
- Moving away from God: guilt/hiding, Personal brokenness (separation from self)
- Separation from God & others
> But sin can also lead to moving closer to God- repentance.